Shearson Editorial Services—Carlotta Shearson, proprietor—provides substantive editing, copyediting, and proofreading services, specializing in presubmission editing of scientific journal articles written by authors for whom English is a second language (ESL editing).
- Chemistry: organic, medicinal, environmental
- Biochemistry, chemical biology, molecular biology
- General science
- Quilting, knitting and crochet, weaving, soap-making, basketry, and other handicrafts
Scientific Editing Services
When you submit a scientific journal article to for editing, I will
- Revise so that the text is clear, grammatically correct, and idiomatic—paying particular attention to word usage, agreement, parallelism, pronoun antecedents, modifier placement, punctuation, spelling, capitalization, and use of scientific terminology.
- Point out excessively wordy passages and suggest alternative wording, where possible. Point out and, if possible, suggest ways to fix problems with paragraph organization and focus.
- Conform the article to a style manual (e.g., The ACS Style Guide, AMA Manual of Style, Scientific Style and Format), or to the style of the target journal, if specified.
- Confirm that the target journal’s instructions for authors have been followed correctly, if a target journal has been specified.
- Reconcile the reference list with the reference citations in the text, tables, and illustrations. (I do not edit or format references.)
- Edit figure captions and table titles and ensure consistency between captions, titles, and contents. Check figure and table numbering sequences, including cross-references.
- Edit words in figures and tables, if specifically requested (these words will be included in the word count).
- Check numbering sequences for equations and chemical compounds, including cross-references.
- Check headings for logical structure, parallelism, and consistent styling. Check heading number sequence, if applicable.
- Answer questions that you may have during your review of the editing. Work with you to address any remaining inconsistencies and confusing passages after your review.